Friday, October 31, 2014

On taking classes in Cunningham technique...

My first exposure to the work of Merce Cunningham was in college. I was in an introductory dance class, which was mostly modern technique, and mostly from the Graham technique. I admit, the first time I was introduced to the work of Merce Cunningham I ... didn't like it. Intellectually, I think maybe I understood what he was going for, but given a choice, I wouldn't choose to watch his work. There is little, if any, emotional expression. Much of his work is not about making music visible, which, as a 20-year old, I just didn't understand. It is dance for dance's sake.

But this semester I have had the honor of taking classes in the Cunningham technique with Holley Farmer, who was in Cunningham's company for over 10 years. I have technique class with her twice a week. At first, I wasn't sure if I would like it. It seemed to me to be sterile and without expression.

Now, however, I love it. I find it to be meditative, even when we work quickly and vigorously. We work so finely on each body part: the feet, pelvis, spine, arms, (with curves, arches, and tilts), and head. Cunningham's technique truly focuses on the architecture of dance and the human body, and I am honestly surprised at how much I am enjoying the technique. We have nothing to focus on except our own body in space and the instructor.  In these classes, each body part has something very specific to do, even if it is remaining still. Each class begins with the spine, curving forward, and tilting side. Then we move to the feet and legs, focusing on stabilizing our pelvis without gripping or adding any unnecessary tension. In each class, I feel longer, that I have better balance. In Holley's classes, I feel like I have truly made progress as a body moving in space and time... which is what a dancer is.

Sadly for us, Holley is returning to New York after the end of this semester. This just means I'll have to go to New York and take classes at the Merce Cunningham Trust some time.

I'll leave you with an interview with Cunningham, in which he speaks about how we can change our opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment